Awhile back I shared some alternate cards using the July 2019 Paper Pumpkin kit. One of the cards was a Triangle Tri-Fold Twist card. In this post, I am sharing how to make this type of fun fold card featuring the Ornate Garden suite.
- Ornate Garden Suite Collection (English)
- Ornate Thanks Bundle (English)
- Ornate Style Bundle
- Ornate Thanks Photopolymer Stamp Set (English)
- Ornate Garden Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP) – main pattern: one piece 3-3/4″ x 3-3/4″; another pattern: two pieces at 5/8″ x 3-7/8″ and one piece at 3-3/4″ x 1″
- Old Olive 8-1/2″ X 11″ Cardstock – 1 full sheet
- Whisper White 8-1/2″ X 11″ Cardstock – one piece at 3-3/4″ x 5-1/4″ and a scrap piece large enough for die-cutting a label
- Old Olive Classic Stampin’ Pad
- Ornate Garden Ribbon Combo Pack – one piece about 22″ long
- Gilded Gems
- Ornate Layers Dies
- Take Your Pick
- Take Your Pick Die Brush Tip
- Paper Trimmer
- Paper Snips
- Bone Folder
- Stampin’ Dimensionals
- Multipurpose Liquid Glue
- Clear Block D
1. Cut the 11″ side of the sheet of cardstock at 10-1/4″.
2. Rotate the sheet of cardstock and cut the 8-1/2″ side at 4″.
3. Cut the remaining piece to 4″ wide as well. You will have two pieces both measuring 10-1/4″ x 4″.
4. Score the cut cardstock piece at 5-1/2″ on the long edge.
5. Rotate the piece 180* so the 4-3/4″ section (from edge to score line) is on the left. Line up the left edge to the 4″ mark and make a small pencil mark where the scoring/cutting track is (where the pencil is pointing to).
6. Line up the pencil mark and the opposite corner along the scoring/cutting track and score.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 with the other sheet. You will have two pieces with matching score lines ready to be folded.
8. Fold along the vertical score line so that the fold in on the left side and the shorter section with the diagonal score line is on top.
9. Fold along the diagonal score line so that the top right corner goes down towards the bottom left corner (there will be about a 3/4″ gap). Press all the folds with the Bone Folder.
10. Repeat steps 7-9 with the other sheet. Lay one piece with the main fold at the top and the other piece with the main fold at the bottom (as shown).
11. Add Multipurpose Liquid Glue to the 5-1/2″ x 4″ section of one piece. Attach the matching section of the other piece on top, lining up the side edges but not going over the fold line.
12. With the card closed, the diagonal folds should go from the upper right to the lower left. Check that the card opens and closes properly, going from vertical (closed) to horizontal (opened).
13. Determine which way you want the DSP square to be.
14. Cut the DSP by lining up the top-right corner and the bottom-left corner on the scoring/cutting track. Tip for cutting: Instead of starting the cut from the corner, start around the middle. Slide the cutting blade from the middle to one corner, then go back and slide to the other corner (this helps to not smush the corners).
15. Adhere the two parts of the DSP square to the matching flaps of the card base. You can also adhere the two 5/8″ x 3-7/8″ DSP strips to the top and bottom areas of the card base.
16. Once your label is stamped and die cut, determine the placement for it on the upper flap. Flip that section over and draw a light pencil line on the back of the label following the folded edge.
17. Add a few Dimensionals only to the section that will be adhered to the upper flap. Also tie the ribbon around the card with the bow towards the right edge.
18. Attach the label over top of the ribbon onto the upper flap (this will also help to secure the ribbon to the card). Untie the bow and open the card to make sure no adhesive is showing from the back.
To finish up, add a few Gilded Gems to the card front. If you wish to decorate the inside, adhere the 3-3/4″ x 5-1/4″ piece of Whisper White cardstock to the center panel. Add the 1″ strip of DSP along the left edge of the white piece (see a few photos below).
This card starts out with a vertical layout, but when you open it, it twists to a horizontal layout. So keep that in mind when you are writing a note on the inside. :)
If you don’t have the Ornate Garden suite products I used for this card, you can order them in my online store or switch it up and use supplies you already have. I would love to see how you make your triangle tri-fold twist card. Leave a comment or tag me on social media (@mackenziemakes) so I can see what you make.
Happy making!Product List